Monday, February 2, 2009

Week 1 of 5: Cowtown 10k Training Report

M: 2m + strength
W: 5m (ran 3m on Thurs.)
R: 2m + Strength (nope)
Sa: 7m (oh, no)

Okay, so the first week back didn't go so well. Monday's workout went great. I really enjoyed the strength training. I was excited about Wednesday's tempo run, but...it was hard. Really hard. I was supposed to run an "easy" warm up for a mile, run a "fast" 3 miles, then cool down at an "easy" pace. I did the first mile fine, but I only made it 1.5 miles at the "fast" pace. Yikes. It was so hard. I was dying. I could only do a 1/2 mile cool down I was so pooped.

There was something I kind of liked about pushing myself at the "fast" pace though. I'm going to keep at it and not worry about the specific mileage; I'm going to warm up, try to build up the time I run at the "fast" pace, then cool down.

Now I was looking forward to the long run. It was going to be in the 60's on Saturday--perfect for the long run I thought. But...alas, it was windy (of course). 20-30 mph winds on Saturday and Sunday. No thank you. I'm not weathering those winds for a 10k. I'll try again for the long run next weekend.

I'm going to Vegas with the better half next week. I'm planning to get the runs in though. We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. Wind? No way...not in Amarillo! Well, good luck with the rest of your training. Have fun in Vegas!!!

    ReplyDelete