Friday, August 1, 2008

Las Fiestas 5k

So the 5k arrived. I have a nervous stomach anyway so I was cautious about what I ate that morning-just a bland bagel. I had given up on my 30 minute time goal outwardly because we weren't moving very quickly on our training runs, but inwardly, I was still hoping I'd get there.

We got there early and put our numbers on and warmed up, meeting up with our friends David and Christine. I tried to act casual, but I was really worried about humiliating myself. We started in the middle of the pack, and were soon passed by most folks. I couldn't get over how quickly people started (even those I had my eye on as someone I could beat)! Jonathan ran with me for the first 2 miles, and I was so glad. I noticed at mile 1 that the pace was a little fast, but so many people were ahead of us that I couldn't see slowing down too much. Jonathan took off after mile 2, and I was left all by my lonesome. It was then that I actually started passing people (okay, they were walking, but I still passed them). I kept wondering how some of these folks were faring (I can't tell you how discouraged I was to see so many strollers and knee braces flying by me in mile 1), but mile 3 told the story. Tons of people walked on mile 3, and I was able to make up ground. I tried to encourage those I passed; some appreciated it; some gave me dirty looks. I kept on though because it gave me something to focus on other than my labored breathing.

Christine had finished way before me, but she came back to finish the race with me--such a good friend! Her encouragement was much needed and much appreciated. I finished in 30:27, but was still pleased because it said 30--"something"!

No comments:

Post a Comment