Monday, July 21, 2008

From the Beginning

I am not a runner. I was a mediocre athlete in high school, playing basketball, running track, and even running cross country. I ran sprints on the track team and could only stomach cross country one year. I have never run for exercise. Now, I have gotten on the treadmill and done short walk/run segments, but a competitive, casual, or even "for exercise" runner, I am NOT.

I have never said even jokingly, "I'd like to run a marathon." Not a peep like that out of me. I'm more of a read a book for fun kind of gal. When I exercise (or if I exercise), it's the occasional aerobics class or treadmill session.

So why has this non runner decided to run? A couple of things got me in this predicament:

1. My friend Christine started running late last year. One night while we and our husbands were hanging out, Jonathan said he'd like to run a 5k sometime. Her husband, David, said, "you should". Now Jonathan loves to work out, but he's not much into cardio so I didn't think the idea would ever fly. He's an exercise junkie, and I'm not so much so we've been trying to find a form of exercise we can enjoy together (yeah, right--more on this in another post). I pulled up a training program on the web to help us learn to run 30 minutes without stopping and so it began!

2. My sister is a runner and quite possibly the most self disciplined person I know. She has ran in several events and mentioned not long after I started the beginner training program that I should run a half in Dallas with her. I said "no thank you", but it really got me thinking...could I do that?

3. Because I'm not-so-much-an-exercise-junkie, I'm not-so-much-in-shape. This means I'm carrying around about 20 extra pounds than I need to be and that I huff and puff when I shouldn't. I'd like to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment