Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kauai Day 7: Last Day Here

Well, the sun has finally set on our time in Kauai!
What a trip! Thank you, thank you, sweet sister of mine for providing us with such a lovely place to stay!

We had to be out of the room by 10am so we got up, had breakfast, and packed up. The resort held our bags for us and had a hospitality suite where we could sign up for an hour window to shower and such before catching our flight at 10:45pm tonight. What a bonus! This allowed us to spend the day at the beach and not worry about getting on the plane so grimy.

We went to church in Lihue after we left the resort. It was a tiny, friendly little church that we really enjoyed. Then we stopped for a burger and milkshake at Doug's Ono Burger. Finally---some meat! We have sustained ourselves on mostly fish since we got here, and my word, that burger tasted good!

On our way to eat after church, we saw whales! Hallelujah! My streak is broken! We saw one jump from the road and pulled over at a lookout to watch. There was a mama (or daddy?) whale and a baby whale. The larger whale really put on a show, jumping and splashing and spouting for us (just for us; I'm sure of it). It was incredible! I didn't want to take my eyes off of it to grab the binoculars or camera so my memory will have to do. What a memory.

We enjoyed the beach north of Kapa'a after lunch. It was fun to people watch; lots of kids were surfing. I've certainly seen some interesting non-bathing suits and tattoos (not to mention tattoo placement!) since I've been here.
We ran back to the resort and got cleaned up after the beach then went and watched the sunset (again!) at Hanalei Bay. I think the sunsets have to be my favorite thing here!
We had a farewell dinner at Kauai Pasta in Kapa'a before heading to the airport, and it was delicious.

The perfect ending to a fantastic vacation...

3 comments:

  1. ahh... all good things must come to an end! I'm so glad you had a great vacation... it looks like it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great last day! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you had a great trip with such a wonderful ending! I can't wait to see your photo book from your vacation.

    ReplyDelete