Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter

Easter was never a particularly religious holiday growing up. While symbolically it's celebrated as the resurrection, our church never really got into the symbolism on that day. The idea was to celebrate His resurrection every Sunday. I get the point of that (i.e. don't just focus on His resurrection one Sunday; celebrate it every Sunday), but as I've gotten older, it rather resembles my husband's rationale for blowing off Valentine's Day (i.e. I don't want to just show you I love you on Valentine's Day, I want to do that every day.). Yeah, it's a nice thought. But why not celebrate the resurrection (or your love for me, honey) on Easter (or Valentine's Day, honey) as well as every Sunday (or every day, honey)?

So I was thinking of how Easter stood out for me. Unsurprisingly, since I'm thinking about my Mammaw a lot this week, I remember an Easter at her house in Granite Shoals. I couldn't have been very old, and honestly, I may be just remembering a picture I've seen of that day. But it stands out. I also remember when I found out the Easter bunny wasn't real. We were in Albertson's. Mom must have set up a diversion and sent Lori to the register with the grocery basket full of Easter stuff for my little brother and me, but I caught Lori with the basket and figured it out. I'm pretty sure I was too old to be believing in the Easter bunny anyway.

Have any favorite Easter memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment