Thursday, March 12, 2009

Other Sports I Love

Today I'm going to Oklahoma City for the weekend to watch the Women's Big 12 Basketball tournament with my mom and my sis. I am so excited! I'm certainly there to root for my Aggies, but in general, I just love to watch good basketball.

Sports were a huge deal in my family. All 4 of us played sports growing up so not only were we playing a lot of sports, but we were watching each other play a lot of sports. Lots and lots of time was spent in a gym. If we had had cable or satellite growing up, (yes, I survived being raised on just 5 channels; the satellite came after most of us were gone!) I'm certain the channel would have been stuck on ESPN. And now when we go home, it usually is.

We were talking at work, and a coworker said they can usually pick out the people who played competitive sports growing up . The person said this is because people who played competitive sports usually:
  1. Are good "team players".
  2. Know they're role. (Not everyone can be the star!)
  3. Know how step up to the plate during crunch time and don't get as frazzled during crunch time. (I wonder about this one. I think I have grown in this area. Crunch time on the court usually found me crumbling, but not much phases me at the office.)
  4. Are more gracious in defeat and victory. (You definitely learn that anything can happen on any given day so you better be a gracious winner and loser.)
I thought that was interesting. Being raised with sports, I guess I took most of that for granted, but I can see some truth to it. Sure, you can learn all of those things doing things other than sports, but I like that sports added something to my life other than bad ankles, a sore shoulder, and a bruised ego.

Go, Ags!

2 comments:

  1. I hate that I could not join you, but I know you all will have a great time. Hopefully the ladies will fair better than the men.

    I agree whole-heartedly with how much sports can teach you. Some people see them as a distraction, but I agree that they teach you a lot about real life.

    Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete