Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 9 of 12: Half Training Report

M: 8 m (make up for missed long run last week)
W: 5 m (skipped)
R: 3 m
Sa: 10k

8 miles was not fun, but it went better than 7 miles did! Hurray! We ran at Wildcat Bluff. It's 3 miles from Amarillo Boulevard to the black mailbox at Wildcat Bluff, and it's one mile from 34th and Soncy to Amarillo Boulevard. So we parked at Bakers Brothers at 34th and Soncy and ran from our car to the mailbox and back. This was our first time to run with hills. Maybe combining our longest run with our first hill work was not the smartest thing to do, but it actually went really well. The front of my lower leg was really hurting in mile 2, but once I stretched it out and ran through it, it felt great. My left knee really killed me on the last mile, but that's really the only physical pain I had going on.

This was also our first time to try shot blocks and run with the Camelbak (I have the Alterra). We were told to wash the shot blocks down with plenty of water. We ran out of water after our first shot block though so we only had that one. It went down easily and provided a boost (took it at mile 4). I really could have used another at miles 6 and 7. Next time we'll know.

So all in all, 8 miles went okay. I was dead tired, very sore for 2 days, disappointed in how long it took, but completely pumped that I made it the whole 8 miles!

Wednesday we were supposed to run 5 miles, but I was still pretty sore (especially my knee). I did not want to risk injury, and I wanted to "save my legs" for the 10k this weekend so we skipped this run. Thursday we went out for an easy 3 miler, and it went great. It definitely gave me a little confidence going into the 10k on Saturday (which I dreaded all week long!).

I survived the 10k! It deserves its own post. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment