Monday, October 6, 2008

Week 8 of 12: Half Training Report

M: 4.5 m run
W: 3 m run
R: 4.5 m run
F: 8 m run (skipped)
Sa: 30 min. walk/run; 35 min. power walking
Su: 55 min. power walking

Boy, was I dreading this week's runs! They turned out better than I thought (maybe because I skipped the long run?). Monday we tried talking while we ran--this was so much better! It helped me keep "on pace" (i.e. if I couldn't talk, I was going too fast) and took my mind off of my burning lungs and lead legs. We will definitely try to keep this up.

Wed. I ran 3 m by myself. It was hot out so I ended up walk/running it. I ran 10 minutes/walk 1 minute. This really worked out well. I was surprised that I finished in the same amount of time I usually finish 3 miles in. There might be something to this!

Thursday I ran 4.5 m on the treadmill. Again, I walked/ran it. I ran 11 minutes, walked 1 minute. I finished in a faster time than the 4.5 miles on Monday and felt so much stronger on the running segments. This has caused a struggle---I wanted to train myself to run without walking. Am I sissying out by doing this? I can't decide. I know that I finish "quicker" (relative when it's me) and "stronger" (also relative) when I do some walk/running. I looked online and saw that there are 8 water stops at the DRC Half. I think my gameplan for now is to walk 1 minute at each water stop. Since Hal Higdon recommends walking through water stops (albeit probably not for a whole minute), I think I can convince myself that this is not truly "walk/running" the thing; right?

We were all psyched to do our 8 m long run on Friday morning, but we didn't get a good night's rest so we skipped it. We will make it up tonight; very nervous about this! It will be our first time to try Cliff shots and run with the Camelbak. Full report to follow...

Over the weekend we went to Angelfire with Christine and David. Here we are:

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

The leaves were changing, and it was gorgeous! We had an active yet lazy weekend, exercising in the mornings and lazing around for the rest of the day. The guys mountain biked, Christine ran, and I power walked with the dogs. Here are the rest of the pics:



I'm very nervous about the 10k this weekend. Christine and David are running it with us--so is a lot of my family. We did a family fitness challenge and my sister and sister in law (Amber) are running the 10k with us, and my little brother and other sister in law (Jenn) are running the 5k. Should be fun (not the race itself, but the atmosphere with all family members together)! However, though my initial goal was to just finish a 10k, I'm feeling some self-imposed pressure to finish in a certain time. I completely annoy myself with these ridiculous time goals that mean nothing. I mean, it would be one thing if they were fast time goals, but they're definitely not. I keep telling myself I will be satisfied to just complete it, but I know I will be disappointed if I don't finish it in a "decent" time. I definitely need to work on that attitude this week. I was reading in a book that you should have 3 "goal times": 1. if all the stars are aligned correctly, you sleep well, your legs feel great--the "perfect circumstance goal", 2. what you'd be pleased with, but not ecstatic about, and 3. a time you can live with if you just have a bad day out there. So...after way too much thinking, these are my "goal times":

  1. Perfect circumstance goal=1:00:35. I'd really love to finish in 1:00:"something". This is the time the McMillan Running Calculator gives me based on my best 5k time. I would give random people hugs if I finished in this time.
  2. Pleased with the time goal=1:04:35. This would put me at a pace of 10:23/mile which is 1 minute above my 5k pace, and the pace I'll need to sustain to meet my half marathon "perfect circumstance goal" of 2:15:"something".
  3. Live with it goal=1:08:30. This time would get me a last place finish (in my age group) and probably leave me in tears, but I'm open to having a really bad day out there. I based it on my training pace of 11:00/mile. I know this goal should be to "just finish", but well, that wouldn't be honest because I don't want to "just finish". I'd like to finish with a little dignity.


No comments:

Post a Comment