Thursday, December 4, 2008

Who Signed Us Up For This Thing?

Seriously...whose idea was this to run White Rock anyway? That's the question Jonathan and I have been asking ourselves lately. We've been bad little runners. This was supposed to be my "back on track week". It hasn't been. I ran Monday. It was supposed to be a 3 mile run. I walk/ran for 2 (mostly walk), then gave up and tried to do the last mile on the elliptical (only lasted a half mile). I don't get it. I ran 9 miles on Saturday. Why can't I crank out 3?? Pretty pathetic. I was supposed to do 4 at lunch yesterday; got wrapped up in work and didn't make it to the gym. I was supposed to make it up today, but thankfully Jonathan got wrapped up in work and we didn't go to the gym either. Zero motivation. Zero. I'm going to run 8 on Saturday; no way around it.

I'm going to stick it out for 13 next weekend, but I'm already starting to dread it. I really haven't started dreading it until tonight. My attitude has been to walk run and mostly walk if I feel like it. Just keep moving for 13 miles and have fun over the weekend being out of town, being with friends, and being with family. I know I haven't trained well for it so I've been lowering my expectations, and I've truly been okay with it. But now, I've realized how many people will be there that I know, and my pride is starting to kick in. While I'm sure none of these people will be giving me or my sad "wog" (walk-jog because can I really call what I do a "run"??) a second thought, I have just enough pride left that it's starting to bother me. Of course, my training is now so far down the tube that there's not a thing I can do about it. Wogging it is!

Such is life. That's my whine for the night. Why in the world am I doing this???

(Oh--and did I mention we're signed up to do the Houston Half Marathon in January? Now isn't that just the most ludicrous thing you've ever heard? Way back when we started this whole running bit, I had an inkling I wanted to finish a half marathon. I thought Houston would be "fun" (I was delusional) because we could go back and see family and friends from when we lived there, and the Houston Marathon is a really big deal. So...without telling anyone (not even Jonathan), I signed us up---way back in July, right before it filled up! But I didn't tell a soul (not even Jonathan for awhile) so that I had the option of backing out (I was at least thinking clearly on this). Then, we decided to do the DRC Half with my sis and Christine and David, then this horrible White Rock idea came up (again, delusional), and now, this Non-Runner will have completed 3 half marathons in 3 months! How's that for the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard? Not a good idea. Not a good idea at all.)

4 comments:

  1. You started as a non runner, but now you are trying to set records in how many you can run in a short amount of time. You go girl!!!! You'll be fine at White Rock you did great on the 9 last weekend. It's all about FUN and the company. I'm still proud of you. Love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mindi--I know what you mean--I signed up to run a 4 mile with Ash-- not that it is anything like a half- anyways,I haven't stuck to my training at all---maybe it is the holidays???:)-that is awesome that you are going to run three halves--you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do great and have fun in the process. I completely understand your concerns about the race next weekend, but we'll all be in it together! We can't wait to see you guys on Friday. I bet JZ was THRILLED to hear that you signed him up for Houston!

    ReplyDelete