Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!


I've always been pretty good about New Year's Resolutions--making them that is. I've never been much on the follow through (which could explain the extra 15 pounds I've been carrying around since I finished law school in '05). I read an interesting post on resolutions on Kristin Armstrong's blog. This is my favorite part:
It can be overwhelming in the face of all that needs to be done, to consider what we really want to do. I'm talking about getting back in touch with the desires of our hearts. That's why this year instead of thinking about what I want to do in the year ahead, I am going to try to shift my perspective and consider who I want to be at this time next year. If I can figure out how to get my 'I am's' to fuel my 'to-do's' instead of the other way around, I think it could be a year of great growth. If we aren't paying attention, the way we fill our time defines who we are by default.

Read the full post here.
So last night I did a lot of thinking on this. I listed 5 things I want to be at this time next year. Then I listed specific things I can do under each of the 5 things to help me achieve it. #5 on my list was fitness related:

Who do I want to be at this time next year?

#5 An active, healthy, self-confident woman.
  1. Take a multivitamin and drink 2L of water everyday.
  2. Establish and maintain a consistent exercise routine with 4 components:
    • Cardio
    • Strength training
    • Stretching
    • Deep breathing
  3. Learn more about and practice good nutrition.
    • How to shop for and cook healthy foods
    • Be in tune with what my daily diet should consist of (e.g. get the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables, etc.)
  4. Practice mindful eating and moderation. (I am the queen of mindlessly gorging on high calorie food and beverages.)
  5. Cook more.
  6. Eliminate negative self talk.
As for running related goals, I'd really like to run about 15 miles a week and participate in one race a month. I think the race will help shame me into keeping up with my workouts.

Have you made any New Year's Resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! I read that blog also and that part touched me as well. Love you, Lori

    ReplyDelete