Monday, December 8, 2008

Week 4 of 5: Mulligan Half Training Report

M: 3m (did 2)
W: 4m (skipped)
R: 3m (skipped)
Sa: 8m

This has been more of an "I'm Not Training Report" lately rather than a "Training Report", but nonetheless...

After such a great 9 miler last weekend with my sis, I laughed at how easy my 3 miler would be on Monday. Trust me...it laughed back! From the very beginning, I knew it was not going to be a good run. Every step felt like that very first run---awkward, labored, and "just off". I've already mentioned this "non-run" in the last post; I'll not belabor it here. Awful. So awful, I took the rest of the week off until my long run.

I was determined to get 8 miles in on Saturday. Jonathan and I went out to Wildcat Bluff and ran an 8 mile out and back course. I enjoyed last week's run so much with my sis that Jonathan and I decided we'd give it another shot together. We really enjoyed ourselves! We decided we'd run on the way out together and separate on the way back since I can usually run the hills on the way out, but I walk a lot of the hills on the way back. Funny thing is--I managed to make the whole way out and back without any unplanned walk breaks (I still walked a minute each mile) so we stuck together. It was awesome!

A funny thing happened this run...I forgot my watch. I must say that I am tempted to not wear a watch on Sunday during the half! I got to each mile and walked 60 steps and never had any idea what pace I was at--so there was no reason to be discouraged or down on myself when "I was going too slow", etc. I just ran, walked, then ran until I got to 8 miles.

I also tried a new little tactic with wanting to take unplanned walk breaks on the way back, especially on the hills. I would only look a few feet in front of me and tell myself to make it to the next ________. "Just make it to that rock and then we'll talk about a little break." Pretty soon I would be over the hill and the talk switched to, "You can't walk on a downhill; that's a waste. Just get to the bottom and then we'll talk about a little break." Of course, you know what happened when I got to the bottom of the hill. "You're not far from the mile marker now, and you know you get a walk break at mile markers. Keep it up until the mile marker." This worked amazingly well. My mind can only process a run in very small pieces--one step at a time. I hope to focus on this in the half on Sunday. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how a small run can be so tough, even when you have run so much longer than that before? Running is such a crazy thing. I am glad that you are finding good techniques to get through your runs! Whatever it takes! I think you would really enjoy the race without a watch. I know I use mine as a crutch and could never leave it behind. I will admire you so much if you are able to run without it. Can't wait to see you guys on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mindi! Just thinking about you and your run this weekend! It will be great - hey, you and Lela have inspired me to at least consider training for a 1/2 marathon, so think back to where you were a year or so ago....probably where I am right now. Actually right now I'm sitting in my flannel pj's eating S'mores cereal! I've got a long ways to go! Have fun and be proud of your accomplishments! Let's get together soon!
    Tommi

    ReplyDelete