Monday, November 10, 2008

I'll Take a Mulligan, Please!

I like Wikepedia's definition of 'mulligan'- a mulligan is a retaken swing, usually due to a previously errant one.

Yep-that sounds about right. I'm going to start referring to my first half as a "previously errant swing". I'll take a mulligan, please. My mulligan? The Dallas White Rock Half Marathon. I'm not that concerned that I finish in a faster time really (though it would be nice). My goals for "running the rock" are:

1. Give myself permission to walk.--I know. I know; you're thinking...what? You walked a heck of a lot at the DRC Half! It's true. I did. But I went in thinking, "I will not walk until predetermined water stops." So when I needed to walk earlier and more frequently than that, I just felt like a giant loser. It got me down on myself and started the mental battle that I eventually lost. I'm going to be nicer to myself this time. If I need to walk, I will walk. Not if I want to walk, but if I need to walk.

2. Listen to the crowd, see the crowd, and take it all in.--This thing is supposed to be really neat; I want to enjoy it. I don't remember much about my surroundings at the DRC Half. I don't think I looked across the lake once (though I distinctly remember looking at the edge and wondering whether the odds were greater I could run/walk to the finish line faster than I could dive in and swim it).

3. Smile when I finish.

I'm going to start on Week 6 of the half marathon training program on Marathon Rookie. I'm also going to train at Wildcat Bluff once a week so I can get some hills in.

So here goes...I'll take a mulligan, please!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited you are going to try this again! When I started running, you told me I was crazy. I told you that running is "oddly addictive." I think you are addicted. I am looking forward to another fun weekend at the races with you.

    ReplyDelete