Saturday, January 3, 2009

Week 2 of 4: Houston Half Training Report

T: 4m
W: Strength training
R: Speedwork-New Year's Resolution 5k
F: Strength training
Sa: 10m

I actually did all my runs this week! Go me! Tuesday it was absolutely gorgeous here (albeit windy) so Jonathan and I went home at lunch and ran 4 miles outside instead of going to the gym and running on the treadmill. It went great. Thursday there was a local New Year's Resolution 5k so we decided to get up and run that. I was slated to do speedwork anyway so I thought it would be good to do the race. Smart Coach said my speedwork should be done at a 10:30 pace, and I ran the 5k at a 10:36 pace so I was pretty much on target. It was cold and windy on race day. Lots of people were out for the race though so that made it fun. I had no expectations time-wise, I just wanted to run it faster than I have been running my easy runs. I was a little surprised that my time was so slow though. It was even slower than my first 5k time. I guess my body has adjusted to the long slow runs in training for these half marathons.

This morning we got up and did our long run. We decided to run aimlessly and call every 11:00 a mile so we ran for an hour and fifty minutes total. I continued my walk run method, and it went well, despite the fact that the wind was blowing 25mph. We ran to some new places and found some new routes we'd like to explore. This is my first long run since White Rock (way back on Dec. 14) so I was a little nervous about it. Next week is my last real training week before the taper week before Houston so I'm determined to get all my runs in.

3 comments:

  1. Good job for you on your run this morning and this past week. 3 halfs in 3 months, that's awesome and says alot of how in shape you are. You've turned into quite the runner---you go girl---sis is soooo proud of you. Love you. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your blog! It looks really good, and I am sorry I have been slacking on leaving comments. It sounds like you are getting off to a really good start this year, and I am looking forward to seeing you finish strong in Houston on the 18th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When was Running Invented I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete