Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week 3 of 4: Houston Half Training Report

M: 5m (split into 2 runs over M and T because I ran out of time on M)
T: Finished Monday's runs and strength
R: 4m tempo (turned into 3m tempo)
Su: 10m

This was a pretty good running week. Maybe it was made better knowing it was my last week of intense runs (or at least this much mileage) for awhile. I'm done with these half marathons until at least fall. Need a break.

I'm experimenting with working out in the mornings. I didn't get to the gym early enough Monday for a 5 mile run so I split that run into 2 runs. My tempo run Thursday was tough. I could only keep up the faster pace for 1 mile (not the 2 the workout suggested). It was nice to push a little faster pace, but it was really, really tough. Today's long run went pretty well. The first 3 miles my legs felt like lead, but then they loosened up. The wind was bad the first 5 miles, but the last 5 were really great. It was a gorgeous day to be outside. I hope that's my last 10 mile run for awhile.

I really have enjoyed working out in the mornings. I don't like to get up super early, and I really like breakfast time with Jonathan so we adjusted our schedule a bit. We're now getting up a tad earlier, having breakfast together, then I head to the gym while Jonathan gets ready for work. I get ready for work at the gym (both downtown) and show up for work at 8:30am. This is quite a bit later than I usually go to work, but it's working out nicely. I was trying to workout at lunch for most of last year. While it works great for strength training days, it's pretty difficult on running days because I seriously overheat--sweat a ton and have a tomato red face. It's hard to cool down and get looking normal in time for afternoon appointments. I hope it goes just as well this week.

I'm looking forward to a taper week and knocking out this last half marathon.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad your workouts leading up to the half are going well. You are almost there!

    I am impressed that you are getting up early to work out. I have thought about doing that, but it makes me tired even thinking about it. Good for you!

    I hope you have a great birthday on Monday, and I will see you in Houston this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your last intense week. I can't wait to hear how Houston was. Love you, Lori

    ReplyDelete