Monday, September 22, 2008

Week 6 of 12: Half Training Report

M: 4 m in mountains on vacation
W: 2 m
R: 4 m
Su: 7 m

Not a good running week at all (except for the fact that I did stick to the schedule). We were in Custer, SD on Monday and got up and ran along the George Mickelson trail. It was scenic, but the thin air and hills were a killer!

Thursday's 4 miler was horrible, too. My legs felt off from the start. I just never got in a groove. So disappointing. I felt like I was making progress (maybe getting a little cocky even), but that run felt like 2 steps back.

Nothing, nothing was as bad as yesterday's 7 miler though. We slept in on Saturday so we decided we'd get up on Sunday for the run. We hydrated well on Saturday and got to bed early in preparation for the run. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep (only slept from 10:30-2am) so I felt like a truck hit me by morning. We then decided we'd run that evening after I caught up on my sleep during the day. Trouble was---I never caught up. We ran nonetheless along a new route. The wind was blowing at 17mph. It was behind us for the 4 miles on the way out, however, the 3 back in, we were fighting it. It was awful! I was dying on the way out, even with the wind at my back. My legs felt fine, but I was just huffing and puffing. When we turned around, the wind just hit me. I actually started bawling like a baby. Lesson learned: if you're huffing and puffing to start with, crying just complicates breathing matters. Jonathan was running in front of me, and I rehearsed over and over how I was going to ask him to run home while I waited for him to get the car and come pick me up. When I hit mile 5 though, I started to think I could make it. We dropped water on the way out and stopped for a water break about 1.5 miles from the finish. This really energized me. I knew I could finish. When we hit the 1 mile marker, I just concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other. My knees were starting to hurt, but my cardiovascular was what was really kicking my butt. When we finished, I was light headed and everything started to ache. The walk home from mile 7 was painful, but it was nice to get the breathing under control and walk off some of the aches.

The mental part of finishing 7 miles was brutal! I just kept thinking that there is no way I can finish 13.1 in November! I'm half way through this training plan, and that run was just awful! I have never felt that bad on a run. I hope the wind and the lack of sleep made it so brutal.

And now...man, my knee is killing me. When we got back to the house, we stretched, iced our knees for 10 minutes, ate some dried fruit, and drank 2 big glasses of water. When I woke up this morning, my feet were achy, and my left knee is hurting. I iced it again this morning. I hope it works itself out.

I am not feeling good about this at all right now. The good news is that this week we have a 5k race instead of a long run on Saturday. I need a "long run vacation", and I definitely need an attitude adjustment...

On to happier things, our vacation pics turned out really good:


No comments:

Post a Comment