Sunday, August 31, 2008

Week 3 of 12: Half Training Report

M: 3.5 m
W: 5 m
R: 2 m
Sa: Boys Ranch 5k

Today the "medium" length runs were stepped up to 3.5 miles. I switched the 3.5 mile run with the long run on Saturday since we were running in the Boys Ranch 5k. The long run was 5 miles this week---and went so much better than I thought it would. We ran early which was great because it was cool. I really struggled on the last mile, but other than stopping for water and stretching at mile 4, I didn't walk at all. It wasn't fast, in fact a little slower than I would have liked, but I survived. I was so pumped about completing 5 miles! Huge milestone for me!

I was so excited that the next day on my 2 mile run, I decided I could go a little faster. I really wanted to go faster than a 10 minute mile pace. Ummm...mistake. I ran the first mile in 9:24, but I died on the last mile and ended up walking for about 30 seconds. Walking on a 2 mile run---now that's pretty pathetic. Really took the wind out of my sail.

I was really nervous about the Boys Ranch 5k because there were hills. I had a super negative attitude Sat. morning. I really wanted to break 30 minutes, and I had no confidence since I had to walk on my 2 mile run this week. Jonathan and I started out together. The big hill was at the first which at least got it out of the way but drained me initially. The course was pretty so that was a plus. I didn't find the mile markers so I never knew what pace I was really running. I think that hurt me. On the last mile, I ended up walking for 1 minute. I was really down about this and indulged in negative self talk: "I will never be able to finish a 10k or half". Despite walking, I finished strong. I beat my last time by 15 seconds but still didn't break 30 minutes. This was disappointing, but it is progress. Hopefully with every 5k I can get a little better. I think I just need to focus on finishing and not times, but I want to finish in "respectable" times. I don't know where I'm getting this "respectable" standard, but it's not doing much for my self esteem.

This next week's workouts are the same as last week. I know I've been able to complete them once so I'm not dreading them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment