Monday, July 28, 2008

From 30 Minutes to 5k

We had four weeks from the time we ran 30 minutes without stopping until our first 5k. When we ran 30 minutes without stopping, we "only" covered 2.75 miles (which is 2.75 miles more than I used to cover sitting in my chair reading my book). So we had some work to do.

I told myself my goal was to just finish the 5k, but my real goal was to do it in 30 minutes. We used Hal Higdon's Training for your First 5k plan starting at week 5 until race day. I would go on Google maps and use the "distance measurement tool" on "mymaps" to find routes of the mileage we needed. This worked (and still works) out well. There is also a route calculator on the training log I use at Runner's World, but it didn't have all the streets in my neighborhood on it (fairly new neighborhood) so using Google worked better for me. The training log at Runner's World is great to track your workouts.

The workouts were hard but doable, and I was motivated by running the 5k in front of people I knew. Nothing like a little pride to keep you moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment